ETKG Wednesday Night Tennis is open to all Club members, Parents of Junior members and visitors. Come and join us any Wednesday night from 7.00pm all year round (subject to weather).
ETKG Tennis Club has been running social, mixed doubles tennis every Wednesday night for over 30 years. The current, flexible format accommodates a broad range of abilities, from competition players to social players, and allows people to play as few or as many sets as they like.
When you arrive, you pay your fee at the bar, get your name tag and play tennis! When you’ve played enough matches, or if you just want a break, relax and enjoy a drink and chat at the bar!
For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org
The details of the system are:-
- Each player pays their fee ($5 for paid-up ETKG members or $10 for non-members) and is given a magnetic name tag which they place on a whiteboard. Whoever’s name is top of the list invites any three others for a set, trying to ensure that all four players have an even, enjoyable match. When the next court becomes free, those four tags are moved away from that part of the whiteboard and the person who next becomes top of the list invites another three, and so on.
- When players finish a match, they move their tags back to the end of the list.
- The only “rules” are that players should not create a “private sub-group”, should ensure that everyone is included (especially new players), and that everyone gets as many even and enjoyable matches as they want.
The advantages of the system are:-
- There’s no need to notify anyone if you are unavailable one night.
- There’s no need for a Coordinator to organise teams, get fill-ins, etc, although there will be someone at the bar to collect fees for the first 15-20 minutes. Later arrivals will need to search for a Committee member or Life member to assist.
- You can play as few or as many sets as you like between 7pm and 10pm.
- You can arrive at any time during the evening (although this may limit the number of sets you can play).
- The fee is fixed regardless of how many sets you play.
- You can bring friends (preferably of a reasonable standard – not raw beginners).
- You can temporarily remove your name tag from the whiteboard if you need a break.
- You can leave at any time.
- If you are invited to play, you can politely decline if you wish (e.g. a lady would like a mixed doubles, rather than a ladies doubles). However, the over-riding objectives of inclusion and everyone having even, enjoyable matches must be considered.